Monday, October 4, 2010

White Bean Chicken Chili .... and, Jen's Kitchen Bootcamp challenge

Hey Grandma! welcomes you to another week of food, quilts, lore and more ... it does the soul good to reminisce about those women who taught us a trick or two around the kitchen and sewing room. Or simply to remember a warm hug and a silly tale that brings back those honest to goodness feelings that just flat warms the heart.


I look out the window today and see rain .... which is indeed a welcome sight in this semi arid desert of Western Slope Colorado. It is also a little on the chilly side which makes me think of a favored comfort food .... chili!




White Bean Chicken Chili

4 skinless chicken fillets cubed
1 teaspoon salt (I use course ground Kosher)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 large onion (I used a yellow onion this time around)
1 1lb can of chopped green chilies
1 jalapeno (if you like you chilie with a bit of a bite)
4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin (one of my favorite spices BTW)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 - 8 garlic cloves (garlic is a personal thing, so use as much as is to your liking)
3 - 4 cans white beans (I used a combination of white beans)
3 cups chicken broth (want more of a soup than a chili? Double the chicken broth)
shredded cheese
sour cream

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, and spices in olive oil for 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook a minute longer.

Transfer to crock pot/slow cooker. Add beans and broth and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours on low. Do you want a thicker soup/chili? Mash 1 to cups of beans; add 1/2 cup broth and stir til blended.)

My Awesome Other Half and I like Frito's Corn Chips in the bottom of the bowl, then ladle the chili over. Top with sour cream and cheese if that is your desire.

Serve with corn bread or buttered tortillas .... Nom, nom, nom!


Now something else that could prove to be fun! Jen's Kitchen Bootcamp challenge! I stumbled across this earlier today and I think it sounds fun! So here is the link in case you all want to participate too!



Do you remember your Grandmothers and Aunts competing for the ribbon at the fair .... or between themselves? I can still remember Aunt Gladys saying she had the best chocolate cake, while Aunt Wilma said the same thing. Well! .... I say I have the best Banana Nut bread! hehe


No comments:

Post a Comment