Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sampler Quilt block ... Memory Quilts


Here is the next quilt block to the Sampler Quilt I I making. Remember, I am using the one found in the 2009/2010 Winter edition of McCalls Quilting as inspiration. You can obtain a back issue from http://www.quiltersvillage.com/ersvillage.com/





They call this block the Memory Block .... To my knowledge, and I also researched a little, there is not a block by this name. However, I would like to know the actual name of the block, and if any of you know it, would you kindly let me know? Thanks ....






There are Memory Quilts, though. Maybe some of you call them Album Quilts or Signature Quilts. They are the quilts that are made for someone to signify a special time in their, life like a wedding for example. Maybe a beloved neighbor woman was going to be moving away, so the women of a community stitched a quilt for her to remember them by. Oftentimes, there was a center square that was left for people to sign or write a poem. I have seen pictures of some that were carried across the nation as a family made it's way to Oregon or California. If you let your imagination wander, can you imagin the woman who was gifted with such a treasure? How she must have ran her hand lovingly over the squares with one hand, while brushing off a tear with the other? Maybe that is a bit dramatic, huh? Nope, I don't think so ....






Now a Memory Quilt can be a photo quilt. Hey Grandma! Bet you would have loved that! How about the quilts made out of your son or daughters sport t-shirts? Those would b a wonderful memory for the child to receive now wouldn't it? What ever it is, it truly is a wonderful way to remember ....

No comments:

Post a Comment