Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Quilt Web Links .... and Elizabeth Keckley

Perhaps to some, this blog post will not generate much interest. However, I have stumbled across some interesting and useful web links that sure sparked my interest!

allpeoplequilt.com (from American Patchwork & Quilting) will send you weekly updates and free ... yes free, patterns! I received my email today and was THRILLED TO DEATH to see a pattern for Harvest Log Cabins! Anyone who knows me knows my passion for Log Cabin Quilts and House blocks! I am in heaven. The only problem is, "do I want to add another UFO to my already growing collection?" hmmm, "Shouldn't I at least TRY to finish a project?" sighs a deep breath. (I'll have to let you know the out come on this one)

I LOVE this web site! Who wouldn't want to have SO MANY quilt block patterns at a touch of a key? http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html (not to mention the tunes you get to hear while meandering the site is a welcomed sound)


This one is awesome, too, as several of the blocks are in several sizes .... that is always a helpful treat for me. Not that I am lazy mind you, but I can think of several others things I would rather do besides resize a quilt block! http://www.quilt.com/Blocks/AlphaBlockList.html


I have found myself at this McCall site on many occasion: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/Block_Reference.html


Now, if you have read an earlier post of mine, you will recall how I adore Civil War era history and fabrics. This morning I was researching Quilt Lore and came across this article. What a tremendous find! http://www.quiltersworld.com/webbonuses/pdfs/elizabeth_keckley_mary.pdf


Elizabeth Keckley is an amazing woman. Not only was she an extremely talented seamstress, but a treasured friend of Mary Todd Lincoln. Over the years, I have done research where this woman has been involved, but this is the first time I came across this article (probably because it was published in February 2009, I finished collage in 2003). I sincerely hope you find it as interesting as I do! At some point I want to devote a series of blogs to Aftican American quilts and history. There is such an incredible tale to share with regard to this topic.
(I am still contemplating my earlier UFO struggle. I think I'll pull a Scarlett and "think about it tomorrow")

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I enjoyed reading your blog today! Thank you for the nice comment on my blog. I had an idea to write about our First Ladies and do a quilt for about 12 of them. I was researching trying to find the ones that enjoy some sort of needlework but then I found out that someone had already done a book about all the First Ladies so I sadly put the project away. I love to write (not sure I'm really good at it - but I try anyway) so I have another idea that I am taking notes on. Maybe someday you can show some pictures of your work - I would enjoy seeing it!
    Always,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete