Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Free Trade Quilt Block .... No Knead White Bread ...

Hello from Hey Grandma! Looking out my window, I would be hard pressed to convince anyone it had snowed yesterday. Another beautiful Autumn looking afternoon is in residence. The sun is shining and there is only a breath of breeze. It is actually warm enough to venture out with only a sweater ....


I just finished the Free Trade quilt block. I have to tell you, I really like blocks that have star like shapes to them. This block is a variation on the Evening Star block, which is a sometimes a star within a star in the center square, or four patch in the center square. Our quilting ancestors were very good at creating new blocks with the familiar ones they worked with. (and just for the record, I have also seen the Evening Star block look nothing like this! Lots of blocks out there with similar names I think)


The thing I like about this block is it actually ended up the 12 1/2 inches it was supposed to be! LOL


Here is something else I want to pass your way. A No Knead White Bread recipe. Let me tell you this ... it was by far the softest white bread I think I have ever made! And sooooo easy!!!


2 cups warm water
2 pkgs dry yeast (or 5 teaspoons)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 oil
1 egg
6 1/2 - 7 cups flour.

Mix in the order given. Handle gently, do not risk kneading. Let rise once until double (about an hour). Punch down and split between 2 loaf pans .... or make rolls ... or some of each. Let rise again (about 30 minutes) and bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Though I have not tried this yet, the recipe says you can put the dough in the frig until ready to use and it will keep in there for 5 days. I have a no knead cinnamon roll recipe that has you put the dough in the frig over night, or up to 4 days, and it works out great, so I suspect this would to.


From Hey Grandma! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment