Saturday, September 25, 2010

What would GG Grandma do with a Crockpot?

How spoiled I am! I look around my kitchen and the gadgets I see just might boggle the mind of my ancestors ....

What would my Great great grandma do with a crockpot? Just think of the time she would have on her hands with such a simple appliance! .... Hmmm ,or would she? She probably already knew how to make her old stove cook something ever so slowly. But me? I like the convenience of a Crockpot!
If I had the room in my kitchen for the storage of additional appliances I would own a large roaster and a toaster oven for sure!
I remember going to Shell City, Missouri for a holiday vacation once when I was young ... maybe 10 or 12. My Aunt Gladys had an electric Roaster. A BIG on, too. I remember she had it full of potatoes, carrots and onions, and if I close my eyes and look at that roaster in my mind, I can remember how it smelled, too ... heaven ... at least today this is how Heaven smells. Roasting potatoes and carrots with butter and oil (bet she used lard though), layered with thinly sliced onions and sprinkled heavily with course ground salt and pepper ... yum (and a drippy druely one at that).



Hey Grandma! With you in mind, this is what my Awesome Other Half and I had for dinner last night! At 11 AM I pulled out my oval stoneware Rival Crockpot and proceeded to make a Cornish Game Hen dinner we would eat at 6PM.
*2 Cornish Game Hens
*6 slices of bacon
*1 tsp kosher salt
*1 tsp Rosemary
*1 tsp basil
*1/2 tsp marjoram
*a couple pats of butter (what is a pat? I don't really know ... a couple of teaspoons to me I guess)
In a small bowl, mix your dry spices - just use your fingers, as you are going to rub the spice mixture all over the little birds, inside and out, any way. Now rub away! Place a pat of butter in each cavity of the bird and then lower the birds into the crockpot. ( I love my oval crockpot as the birds fit perfectly side by side). Take your bacon and wrap two strips sideways around each bird, and one strip lengthwise on each bird (I like to tuck an end into the cavity).
Cover the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5.
Discard bacon before serving .... or not.
I served the birds with fork tender potatoes with butter and parsley, and we picked a zucchini from the garden, sliced it and sprinkled salt, pepper, chilie and lime seasoning, along with olive oil and grilled it on the grill. Made for a great dinner.
No! We did not each eat a whole bird! What are you thinking? LOL I now have a bird that I will pick the meat off of for something tonight. Thinking maybe creamed chicken over rice, with canned green beans, and a tomato salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment